Department of Veterinary Public Health and Epidemiology
The Department of Veterinary Public Health was established in the year 1970, with the aim of teaching, research and extension in the field of zoonoses, environmental hygiene, food hygiene, food safety and public health. Latter on Epidemiology was also included and this Department was renamed as Department of Veterinary Public Health and Epidemiology. The department offers undergraduate and post graduate courses in each semester of academic calendar. The department has a fully equipped laboratory for undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and research.
Name & Designation
Assistant Professor & Head
U.G. Courses (As per VCI)
|Sl. No.||Course No.||Course Title||Credit hrs.||Semester|
|1.||VPE 311||Milk and meat hygiene, food safety and public health||2+1||V|
|2.||VPE 321||Veterinary epidemiology and zoonoses||2+1||VI|
|3.||VPE 511||Environment and environmental hygiene||2+1||IX|
PG Courses (As per ICAR)
|Sl. No.||Course No.||Course Title||Credit hrs.|
|VPH 601||Elements of veterinary public health||1+1|
|VPH 602||Bacterial and rickettsial agents of public health significance||2+1|
|VPH 603||Viral, fungal and parasitic agents of public health significance||2+1|
|VPH 604||Zoonoses and public health||2+1|
|VPH 605||Principles of food hygiene and safety||2+1|
|VPH 606||Food-borne infections and intoxications||2+1|
|VPH 607||Meat And Milk Hygiene||2+1|
|VPH 608||Environmental pollution and safety||3+1|
|VPH 609||Fish, Fish Products And Seafood Hygiene||1+1|
|VPH 610||Bioterrorism And Disaster Management||1+1|
|VPH 699||Master’s research||20|
4.Research facilities and infrastructure
- AICRP- Animal disease monitoring and surveillance, ADMAS. (Ongoing).
- Outreach Programme on zoonotic diseases. (Ongoing).
- An assessment study of prevalent goat diseases in Muzaffarpur district of Bihar under project Mesha supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. (Ongoing).
- Monitoring of microbiological quality of foods of animal origin with special reference to Salmonella and coli. (Completed successfully).
Recent Research achievements:
- A broad study has been carried on food borne pathogens viz. Staphylococcus aureus, Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), Salmonella spp, E. coli to study their epidemiology and zoonotic impact along with multidrug resistant profiling.
- Extensive studies have also been carried out to develop molecular diagnostics for detection of. Staphylococcus aureus, MRSA, Salmonella Typhimurium, Salmonella Enteritidis, shiga-toxin producing coli (STEC)from milk, meat and clinical samples.
- Basic studies have also been carried out about the prevalence of bovine and caprine brucellosis in different agro-climatic zones of Bihar by screening of sera samples.
- Extensive studies have also been carried out for isolation and characterization of MRSA bacteriophage and their implication as bio-sanitizing agents.
- At present this Department has maintained culture of Staphylococcus aureus, Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), Salmonella Typhimurium, Salmonella Enteritidis, coli and MRSA bacteriophage.
- Bacteriological isolation and identification.
- Biosafety cabinet type 2: for handling of infectious organisms.
- Molecular diagnostic.
- Antibiotic sensitivity testing.
|Research||Popular Articles||Lab Manual||Books/ Chapters||Lead Papers|